A rare about face for Bloomberg. This woman had no background in education whatsoever. A disgrace.

Schools Chancellor Cathie Black To Be Replaced

By: NY1 News

After just three months at the helm, Schools Chancellor Cathie Black is stepping down and will be replaced by Deputy Mayor and former Board of Education president Dennis Walcott.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg made the announcement at a morning press conference at City Hall.

The mayor says he's disappointed Black's appointment didn't work out, but that the two agreed the issue had been a distraction for the city's school system.

"She loves New York and wants to do what's right for the families and students that we serve," said Bloomberg. "She and I met this morning and we have mutually agreed that it is in the city's best interests if she steps down as chancellor. I take full responsibility for the fact that this has not worked out as either of us had hoped or expected."

Black was appointed late last year and took over when Joel Klein stepped down in January.

A recent NY1/Marist poll showed just 17 percent of voters surveyed said Black is doing an excellent or a good job.

Since her tenure began, the former Hearst Magazines chairwoman has taken heat for her lack of education credentials.

The news comes just one day after another high-profile member of the Department of Education -- Deputy Chancellor John White -- announced he was leaving.

Walcott's appointment still needs approval from the state

The mayor says he's spoken with state officials and expects a waiver to be granted quickly.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.