Originally Posted By: mrstinkyfingers
I agree, stanfa your joking to think philly is controlling airports and unions. Ivy league are you stating that no one actually got an ok from any of the five families to conduct business in Philly. It seems like that is starting to be the case in many other smaller cities...I don't believe there is much for the mob other than being just street gangs anymore...nothing more then just bullying, drugs, and extortion...even gambling has been outsourced to India...lol with online gambling. Are the LCN mailnly a Sicilian organization in philly.

What I'm saying is the Philadelphia family, or any other for that matter, never controlled entire legitimate industries like the families in New York did. Various families around the country controlled a number of union locals, but not to the extent to where they could control things like construction, the waterfront, garbage, the airports, etc. Furthermore, today the vast majority of the remaining labor union racketeering activity is in New York/New Jersey. Very little elsewhere. For the remaining 4 small families outside New York, which consists of New England, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Chicago - is mostly the standard street rackets.

One thing I need to correct you on though is about gambling. The legal state lottery certainly took away most of the business from the old numbers operations. But sports betting is different. People have the mistaken idea that online gambling has hurt the mob. It's actually helped it. Most mob gambling operations are done via offshore internet sites and wire rooms now. And the mob no longer has to have it's own wire rooms in the U.S. where they can be raided. When you take the the money that still comes into the mob from sports betting, numbers, video poker, and card games, illegal gambling is still it's main source of income, both in New York and everywhere else.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.