Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
There is no need for 15 years of exploration on solar, DC. The technology exists NOW.

Never said anything specifically about SOLAR exploration taking 15 years. I am fully aware that the technology exists now wink

Put it on our roofs and let's move on.

With all due respect, can I ask you if you've done it yet? Why most of the people of this country have not done it yet?

We vacation in Florida and it burns me to see the number of Yukon Denalis and Hummers driving around with Florida plates. It's one thing if you live in an area of the country where four wheel drive is necessary, like the Northeast, but in Florida?? Really? Driving through many a blizzard to get to work?

I agree! Even living here in the northeast, I recently turned in my large SUV which was a gas guzzler and switched over to a smaller SUV which gets 8 - 14 miles to the gallon more than the one that we turned in. It also has the option of taking Flex Fuel.

We vacation in Florida

Do you fly? Drive? Or take Amtrak? tongue wink ( hears SB saying "what a smartass." )

Also, in many suburbs, the train is not an option. We actually only have no one-seat ride into Manhattan and only one express train per day that will take you to NJ for the switch. Why should I sit on the local train and take almost two hours to get to Manhattan when it's a 25-30 mile drive?

We recently added ferry service to Manhattan. It's about a 20-25 minute drive to get to the ferry station. And then I still have to sit on the ferry, and I have to be going downtown, or it doesn't work as an option. It does take me to a train station where I can get a train to midtown, but it would be faster for me to drive across a bridge to the train. So, the options are extremely limited, even if you could separate people from their precious cars.

I love you dearly SB, I sincerely do. But right now you baffle me... you confuse me a bit. In one paragraph you post about how it burns you every-time you go down to florida and see floridians driving around in SUVs. It obviously bothers you, as it does me, because of OUR shared concern in what is going on with fuel and gas prices and how it is really hurting our country and our economy. Even though we may have a different idea here or there on what needs to be done to try and correct it, the goal that we both are hoping to achieve is no doubt the same. But then in the next paragraph you state that you don't see why you should have to spend extra time sitting on a ferry or on a local train when you can drive there in less time? confused

I understand that you are trying to point out that the travel services that you currently have are somewhat ancient and outdated and need to be increased through better infrastructure and faster speeds. Same could be said for where I live. Heck, there's a reason why Staten island has been called the "forgotten borough" for so many years. Our public transportation is extremely limited and needs to be improved.

SO again, I ask you, with the financial situation that we are currently in as a nation, where do we get the funds to make these improvements, to help us become less dependent on foreign oil...on oil in general for that matter? Implementing and developing these things take lots and lots of money. Money that our nation does not have at this time.

Once again, it is my opinion that in order to start researching, developing and implementing these fuel and energy alternatives, one of the best way to raise funds to do that is to create jobs through off-shore drilling right now, which would then help unemployment, help to keep gas and fuel prices down, provide more income through taxes for our government which in my book adds up to an improved economy ALL around.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.