Originally Posted By: NickGeraci
...that is the unresovled issue..... did he know? we have to go by (in this case) what FFC/Puzo put on screen. ... I just really beleive that eyes/actions speak louder than words (dialougue). I want to beleive that FFC/Puzo were so clever as to plan a story with so much "who, how, when?....and what if's" that we're at this moment discussing an authors purpose/intent......BRAVO!!!

Yes, it IS an unresolved issue whether or not Fredo really knew about 'the hit' (although unlike other issues that are NOT answered he outright says he didn't)...and it's been discussed/debated here for years.

Some believe that he did know and some (like me) feel that he didn't. The reason is that, as resentful as he was it just doesn't seem in character for Fredo to knowinly take part in the killing of his brother. Even HE would know that that would completely destroy the Family and lead to NOTHING for him. It is much more believable that he really did fall for that ridiculous story given by Ola. I don't think Ola & Roth would have been foolish enough to even suggest to Fredo that they plan to wipe Michael out, need his help to get this accomplished, and then will give him a prominent position in their new empire. No matter how anyone slices it...it just does NOT make sense that Fredo knew of the hit.

While eyes/actions DO sometimes speak louder than words, I don't see how we can surmize by Fredo's 'guilty' look during that scene that he was in on a plot to kill Michael that very evening. Just knowing he had been speaking w/ Ola/Roth behind Michael's back was enough to generate plenty of guilt on his face, especially after being told by Michael he has nothing to apologize for.

But speaking of actions:
Fredo Corleone as played by John Cazale would've simply been incapable of sitting at dinner with his entire family, including his mother, casually explaining Italian expressions to his wife with his mouth full of food...while knowing his brother was supposed to be shot dead in just a few hours. He would not only have been a basket case nervous wreck, but probably would not have even been able to sit at the table.

And while it's fun to feel that Puzo/FFC were clever enough to present so as to generate this kind of discussion of their intent, and really no harm in feeling that way...I don't think that is the case, there are too many similar holes throughout the film, FFC has already admitted that he would've needed more time to develop an even BETTER story than the one we got...and at the time neither could've possibly envisioned an internet and discussion board by which people like us meticulously could pick at their film(s) so thoroughly from the comfort of our homes.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON