Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
Not entirely implausible. But also a major stretch, even by the standards of this board. I don't see any evidence in the film to support this, especially since Fredo is later revealed to be Roth's inside man.

Furthermore, Michael seemed to view killing Roth as a matter of great importance. I don't see why he would send someone who he considered a possible traitor on a high-priority suicide mission. That kind of assignment would seem to be best carried out by your most trusted operative, not your least trusted.

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Yes, we've speculated many times about Rocco being somehow implicated in the Tahoe shooting, and his volunteering to take the suicide mission against Roth as expiation for his guilt. But I don't agree. Rocco looked genuinely startled and upset about the Tahoe shooting, and begged Michael to stay inside. I think Michael sensed Rocco's outrage over the shooting, which may be why he admonished him, in an emphatic way, "Rocco--ALIVE!."

Fair enough. But like I said, it's just a theory. Olivant is probably right about what he said, although the ironic part is that his statement also applies for most of the other conspiracy theories on this board. That way, there's no reason to discuss anything anymore and you could then as well close this board.

A little imagination does no harm at all, I think we can all agree about that.

However, I still believe Michael suspected Rocco anyhow.

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I think Michael selected Rocco for the suicide mission because he believed Rocco was expendible at that point. And anyway, Rocco was Clemenza's choice, Neri was his. And, a subtheme in II is how Neri pushed his way past Rocco, and was trying to push his way past Tom, to become Michael's #2. Rocco may have volunteered for that mission in a last-ditch attempt to regain Michael's favor.

If Michael fully trusted him, then a man like Rocco would never be expendable. I strongly disagree with this.

He was a highly respected member of the organization and was in charge of Michael's Nevada faction. In real life, it would be a ridiculous decision for a mafia boss to consider such an important lieutenant "expendable".

And I've never experienced any subtheme about Neri and Rocco, but then again, I've 'only' seen this movie about ten times.. wink

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."