Originally Posted By: Frank
thank you to all those responded.
i understand this: all the old neighboroods in nyc were dipended by the immigration phenomena that there was in the first 50years of 900'.Now immigration doesn't exists and the sons and the grandsons of the old immigrates joined completely the american community without the need to join togheter in the neighboorods. Over the years this thing will increase more and more until the disappereance of the old italian neighborood.
At the same time the mafia too disappear because the families will not have men to recruit in the disapperead neighborood.
The mafia of today is just the rest of the now far past.
IS this right or i said a bullshit?

From my understanding, the mafia will not so much disappear, although maybe the quality and quantity of prospective new recruits will decline.
Firstly, there are certainly still large areas on the east coast of America in which Italians live, if not together, then at least in close proximity. After all, there are still almost 500,000 people born in Italy who live in America. And this means there are at least a similar number who are very Italian directly from the influence of their immigrants parents.

Secondly, very many of the next generation of mafiosi are born into the life. Just like 'Ndrangheta, you only have the trust and much easier entry into the organization if you are part of a family with a good name Many are sons or nephews of gangsters, so there is no need for them to have come from the neighbourhood. What this means is that there is a smaller group to select from, so you will have more idiots probably, but it does mean that the mafia will not disappear, at least not for a hundred years.

But yes, of course, the assimilation of Italians into America is one of the biggest, if not the biggest problems facing La Cosa Nostra. If you don't have identity and the culture, you don't have the sense of unity with other Italians. Money and having a good time becomes more important and so the young generation will easily abandon their friends to avoid jail or to make some quick money. The erosion of omerta amongst the gangster and just as importantly the neighbourhood is another result of this.

Last edited by ciccogol; 01/26/11 11:20 AM.