The Decavalcantes may have been considered "mutts" and "farmers" by the New York families, but they were also known as very sharp businessmen and good earners who were actively involved in the more white collar crimes such as securities and exchange fraud, in addition to the more blue collar rackets such as construction and waste management.

They were also known for being somewhat amicable and reasonable compared to some of their counterparts, as well as the one family who could sort of unite all of the various factions amongst the New York families and Chicago outfits. Basically, they were smart enough to form alliances with guys from other families to avoid getting harassed all the time. That's why we see Tony and the crew as somewhat empathetic and engaging characters.

I think Phil's part is written pretty well, actually, asssuming I understand history correctly, in that, years after the Jersey families rose to semi-prominence (after the heads of all the 5 New York families were sent to jail) a conflict in New York erupted as two guys (i.e Phil Leotardo and John Sacrimoni) were competing for both New York and Jersey guys as to who was going to lead the pack. Guys were whacked out on both sides (in addition to the Fed's constantly infiltrating the families) and today New York has taken over most, if not all, of the remaining Jersey rackets following the decline of the DeCalvalcante family.

BTW- Speaking of Phil, Does anyone know anything about the house used for his character in the show??? confused

We see it in 6b, I think, as Phil is concealed inside whilst yelling down below to one of the members of the warring Luppertazzi's. It's a somewhat unassuming yet exremely lavish, gargantuan almost dome-shaped structure, located somewhere smack dab in the suburbs of Jersey Shore. The entire sprawling lot rests about a foot or two above the street and side walk.

I ask, because I seem to remember hearing it is in fact the real life home of Vincent Palermo, the real life Tony Soprano.