Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Another interesting aspect of American justice..... When you're on trial, you're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. But if you make an appeal, you're guilty until proven innocent.....

Unfortunate case: a friend was convicted of insider trading and sentenced to six years. A three-judge panel voted 2-1 to order a new trial. So the government came back with a nine-judge panel to review the three judges' decision. My friend was defended by Maureen Mahoney, who is considered the top appeals lawyer in the US. The panel voted 5-4 to reinstate his conviction.

The Supreme Court, exercising its greatest power (IMO) simply declined to hear his case--their prerogative. He went to prison. His law team found that the sentencing judge (who was a bigot, and who ultimately resigned from the bar in disgrace) had made an error in calculating the penalty for my friend. So an appeals judge heard his case and resentenced him. Surprise, surprise: the judge was one of the five who voted to reinstate his conviction. She peeled all of two months off his sentence. "Conflict of interest"? Not according to her. And, my friend's law team told him if he further appeals the sentence, it can be lengthened.

"Justice"?

I remember the case you are talking about TB. As a matter of fact I believe that you and I discussed it when I brought it up and you informed me that that it was a friend of yours.

If memory serves me correctly he really was nothing more than a scapegoat in this case. I believe that the real motive of his accusers was to just make an example out of him. There were others who were involved much deeper with insider trading who were not punished as severely as your friend was.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.