Just before Thanksgiving, I was sorting down a pile of papers, newspaper clippings and similar items in my workroom in an attempt to make everything "presentable" for company. While I was fighting this ultimately losing battle, I came across this item from a newspaper that, though a couple of years old, was so excruciating that I felt I just had to share it. If you're squeamish, you may not want to read any further...

Painful Sacrifice For Team

LONDON - A Welsh rugby fan lopped off his own testicles after Wales beat England at rugby, a British newspaper reported today.

Geoff Huish, 26, was so convinced England would win Saturday's match that he told fellow drinkers at a social club he would perform the gruesome self-amputation: "If Wales wins I'll cut my b---s off," the Daily Mirror said.

Friends thought he was joking. But after the game, Huish went home and used a knife to do the deed, then walked back to the bar to show his pals.

He was taken to a hospital where he remained in serious condition, the paper said.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."