l
Originally Posted By: Partagas
As a non-profit geek for the last 21 years (wow - I can’t believe it has been that long), I am one of the biggest proponents of the industry (yes although unique in many ways - still an industry). Yet at the same time I have always been one of the biggest critics of the industry. As a non-profit, we should be held to higher standards and we are dealing with the publics trust. Non-profits must be good -- make those great stewards of the community’s resources.

I encourage everyone to scrutinize every dollar you donate (and then, of course, give lots!)

Ask questions!!!!
1. What is the mission of the organization?
2. How will my dollar be spent?
3. How much does the organization spend on A) Mission or Program related costs B) Fundraising Costs and C) Administrative Costs
4. Ask to see the organization’s Annual report.
6. Ask to see their Form 990 – the form that all non-profits are required to complete for the IRS. This form has the above mentioned figured clearly identified.

If the organization cannot answer these questions, or at the very least guide you to someone that can – don’t give them a dime!

If an organization is spending (at least) 75-80% on Program or Mission based expenses – it is using its resources wisely. An organization needs to spend 20-25% on the necessary evils of fundraising and admin expenses.

A good resource is www.guidestar.org. This site has a profile and the From 990’s of nearly 100% of the non-profits in the U.S. You need to register to use the site; however, it is free to do so.

I am refraining from giving personal opinions on particular organizations. If interested, get in touch with me and I will be happy to share my perspective.

Another consideration to think of is what you really want your dollar to do. There are over 1 million non-profits in the U.S. (7,000 in the Kansas City Metro alone!). Many have similar missions and may duplicate services. And, there are tons or organizations with word “cancer” “diabetes” “homeless” - you name it. What do they really do? They all may be doing good stuff but is it what you want your dollar to do. For example, take “Diabetes” (or Stroke, or Homeless, Children, Cancer – you name the condition!) In Kansas City there are several non-profit organizations with “diabetes” in their name. They may or may not, all have a different mission but have that word “diabetes” in it. Some focus on research, some education and prevention, while another may focus on disparity, and yet another on advocacy. You as the donor need to find out and then spend your dollar as you desire.

Make your charitable dollar count!
Bottom line – donor beware!

I knew I wrote about this subject in the past on this site. With the return of the holiday season brings the return of charitable organizations with their hands and arms held wide open. Review the above an as a guidline for your personal giving policy and as always -- vet vet and vet and make the oganization prove that it is worth your hard earned dollar.
Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays!