Besides [as of 5 years ago, tho there are many more now] Five Guys, who make the best home-style burgers you'll ever find in fast food, my all-time favorite greasy spoon burgers are at White Rose in Highland Park, NJ (near Rutgers).

After three tries, I think I've perfected the recipe just going by memory. The only thing I forgot were the sliced pickles. The key to this is using A LOT of minced onions. If you like the taste of White Castle, but in a full-sized burger, you gotta try this! It's more in the technique than the ingredients.

White Rose-style Cheeseburgers

For 2 burgers:

2 1/4-lb 85% lean beef patties
Approx 1.5 cups of finely chopped/minced Spanish onions
2 slices American cheese
2 kaiser rolls (soft and fresh, and no hamburger buns!)
Thin pickle slices
Unsalted butter
Salt and Pepper
10mg Lipitor wink

It's best to prepare this on a 2-burner griddle. Front burner at medium-high, the back burner off. Spray with cooking spray if desired, then after it heats up a little, rub it down completely with butter.

Slice and lay the buns on the cooler side and cover (with a pot lid, for instance).

Begin to sautee the onions on the hot side, adding a bit more butter and some seasoning. Do not caramelize, just soften a bit for a minute or two. If you think you have too many onions, you don't! Don't be scared!

Lay the patties atop the onions, and try to get all the onions underneath the patties. Season the burgers then cover to steam. When the burger softens a bit, press down into the onions with a spatula or meat tenderizer to thin it out and push the onions into the patties. Don't be dainty! It's not supposed to look pretty.

When the burger begins to cook on the sides, flip it with all the onions now on top. Any remaining onions should be pushed underneath.

Swap the buns so the closest ones are farthest so they lightly heat up evenly. Do not toast the buns! Keep covered to steam lightly.

Regardless of how you like your burgers, these should cook to medium-well, with no redness inside. Don't worry, they'll be very juicy! When the red juices hit the top, flip again and press down. When the red juices are gone, and with the burger flipped so the onions are back on top, add a slice of cheese. Keep covered as much as possible to melt the cheese.

After the cheese is melted, pick up a burger with a spatula and dab the bottom end of a roll in the goodness left behind. Press down to pick up any grease and onions. Lay bun and burger on a plate, repeat with other burger.

Put 2-3 thin pickles slices on each, then dab the bun tops into any remaining grease and onions. Top the burgers and press down a bit. Add some ketchup, and enjoy!

Attached Files burger.jpg
Last edited by J Geoff; 02/28/16 05:25 AM.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations