Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Originally Posted By: VitoC
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Lorraine Bracco's role in particular is a positive one: Melfi's quite consciously meant to be a moral counterpoint to Tony's gangsterism.
I didn't find Melfi to be that likable, honestly. Just because someone's not a criminal doesn't mean they're sympathetic or likable. Actually I found Tony much more likable than she was! Her dumping (as a patient, of course) of Tony in "The Blue Comet" was unprofessional and downright cowardly. She didn't have the guts to tell him what was really bothering her (the study she had read about), so she provided completely bogus reasons for dropping him as a patient. It was a really shitty thing to do.
Melfi's professional competence might be questionable, but that she's 'made it' as a Doctor - something that Tony himself is in awe of throughout the show - is enough to put her in the 'positive representation' category alone. I never said she's likeable or sympathetic (though I'm not saying she isn't); I said her role is a positive one.

Quote:
Additionally, I didn't admire that she didn't tell Tony about being raped. And to those who say she did the "moral" thing, remember that this man could easily haved raped (or killed) another woman in the future. If your daughter was raped and/or murdered, and you learned that Melfi could have prevented it by telling Tony what happened to her and who did it, you would hardly think she did the right thing by keeping quiet.
So Tony's capacity for violent retribution, outside the confines of not only the legal system but general human morality, is something to admire and respect?

If Tony kills Jesus Rossi, he's hardly struck fear into the hearts of all of society's rapists; it should go without saying that 'one more dead' isn't any kind of feasible way to deal with something as socially destructive as rape, nor is it any way to support its victims.

Moreover, why for that matter would we not 'disown' Tony for refusing to kill Ralphie right after the latter brutally murders Tracee? There's little logic to your argument.

Why does Melfi have to tell Tony for Rossi to get his 'comeuppance'? She could have pursued it in any way she pleased once she saw Rossi's face on that 'Employee of the Month' card.

It's presented the way it is because Chase and his writers have point-of-view on their side; the show is framed through Tony's viewpoint, and it can be quite appealing to then see events through his moral outlook.

You're setting up a straw man here. No one's saying that if Tony killed or severely maimed Rossi it would have "struck fear into the hearts of all of society's rapists" or that it would "deal with something as socially destructive as rape." But neither does the legal system do these things. What some do say is that it would have been real justice (as opposed to legal justice). It is just wrong that someone can do that to an innocent person and walk away on a technicality. And I'm not at all sure that the idea of Tony avenging Melfi's rape is outside "general human morality."

Your reference to Tony and Ralphie is misplaced. Tony only didn't kill Ralphie right after the latter killed Tracee because Ralphie was a made man. And Tony eventually did do it. The justice system was never going to rearrest Rossi.

And your statement that Melfi could have pursued justice "in any way she pleased" sounds very hollow. Rape is not something that someone should get a slap on the wrist for. The only punishments that seem commensurate with the crime are prison or some violent extralegal punishment. The former was ruled out when Rossi was released. The only other realistic options would have been either for Melfi to tell Tony what happened or for her to go after Rossi herself--the latter obviously being far riskier for her than the former.

Last edited by VitoC; 10/28/10 12:38 AM.

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!