Dying girl gets toys

Taunted Trenton girl goes on toy spree
Kathleen gets $2,000 in toys; rest of funds raised to be donated
George Hunter, Doug Guthrie and Catherine Jun / The Detroit News

Trenton — Kathleen Edward got the royal treatment Thursday, while prosecutors pored over police reports about the couple who allegedly taunted the 7-year-old about her terminal illness.

The couple, Scott and Jennifer Petkov, said they also received notice Thursday that the incident had cost Scott Petkov his job.

"The public got what it wanted," said Jennifer Petkov, who has been vilified on Internet social networking sites as the "Devil of Detroit Street."

"What I did was childish. If you hate me, fine. But please don't hate my family," she said Thursday.

"All this energy toward us should be redirected toward fulfilling that little girl's life."

Kathleen, who is dying from Huntington's disease, was allegedly harassed by the Petkovs, family and neighbors have said.

On Thursday, Kathleen spent the morning on a shopping spree at Tree Town Toys in Ann Arbor, courtesy of donors responding to the dispute.

The girl, who is in the late stages of the disease and shows signs of deterioration, walked gingerly through red velvet ropes, past a three-tiered fondant cake, under a "Welcome Kathleen" sign, and down the aisles, hugging stuffed dogs and pandas to her chest...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.