Another US law anecdote:
I was draft eligible during the Vietnam War (pre-lottery). I got it into my head that the draft was unconstitutional because it constituted "involuntary servitude," banned by the 13th Amendment to the Constitution. I canvassed all my lawyer and law student friends for an opinion, little realizing how specialized the practice of law is (and how few specialize in Constitutional law). Finally figured it out years later: Fourteenth Amendment says No one may be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process. Selective Service System had "due process" because you could appeal your draft classification in several ways.

But, an underlying issue was, and is, the application of military law and process to civilians. Although Selective Service was, technically, staffed by civilians, a sitting general headed it. A draftee was a civilian until the moment he was sworn in and "took the step forward." Yet he was subjected to a military code prior to induction. Muhammed Ali challenged that, in his own way, and won a landmark case before the Supreme Court that saved him from a five year prison sentence and a $10k fine.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.