Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
From what I understand, Huntington's is a horrible way to die, and horrible to watch your loved one decline. Terrible.

You're absolutely right, SB; Huntington's Disease (formerly Huntington's Chorea) is absolutely horrible.

Woody Guthrie, one of my personal favorites musically, died from it in 1967 after being incapacitated for several years, and his death seemed to finally put Huntington's on the map (as it were) as far as the beginnings of public awareness of the disease - but the thing that struck me about the article were the ages of that poor girl and her mother: seven and twenty-four respectively. This is extremely unusual because Huntington's hardly ever strikes people who are not well into adulthood or early middle age.

There is still no cure or treatment for the disease. There is, however, a genetic test that can be done to determine if someone will eventually contract Huntington's.

What an incredibly sad tale - and I'm just sitting here shaking my head at how revoltingly insensitive some people can be. frown

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."