I have also read (I think it was in Selwyn Raab's book) that the formal books were closed in or around 1957. I heard about the allegation of selling of memberships but the version I heard was that Scalise was the one who was doing it. Of course would Scalise have risked that without checking with Albert? Probably not.

I think that this ban applied to all NY/NJ families. I don't know if it applied to the other groups still extant in the fifties-Boston, Philly, Chicago, New Orleans, etc..

According to Raab's book Anthony Accetturo was also formally inducted at or around 1976.

My hypothesis would be that the ban if it truly existed had less to do with any outrage over selling of memberships and more about ensuring that there was enough money to go around for current members-i.e. bosses/underbosses- and ensuring that no one Family got too much stronger than anyone else.

Although the distinction between soldier and associate could be quite important to those in the life, to those who are victims or customers it doesn't much matter if the two nice (and extremely large) men explaining to you that you absolutely must use their food supply company are in fact formal members of the Genovese Crime Family or mere associates/subcontractors.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.