Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
[quote=Lilo]...It's not just about arguing for Fredo's life; it's also about arguing for Michael's soul. All of those actions Michael took made sense taken by themselves but added up they condemn the character to hell, primarily via pride.../quote]

Oh, I see - we're talking about hell now.

Well, sure...can you name for me an organized crime figure, past or present, dead or alive, fictional or non-fictional...who ever got to look forward to heaven? (And don't bother to mention Vito..he did plenty of killing in his younger days.)

As for Michael's soul, forget it. That was lost by the end of GF. In the context of what Fredo did, and the business they were raised in and in order to further protect his 'Family'...Michael did the right thing in having him killed.

Well it all depends on what a fictional person's (real-world) religious beliefs were and I don't want to go any further into that because it would likely needlessly offend real life religious members. My point in bringing up the impact of Michael's actions on his "soul" or psyche if you will is that they disturbed him, were not good for him or his personal family and were not things that set well with him or other people. In GF1 arguably Michael is acting in self-defense and defense of his father and brothers. In GF2 he is an aggressive power-mad expansionist. He's become exactly the sort of big-shot that his father started out resisting. His actions are much less defensible. As we know, FFC wrote it this way very much on purpose.

If IRL Maglicco could get a pass from people he wasn't related to despite having temporary control of an separate power structure (The Profaci Crime family) then fictionally Michael could have given a pass to his pathetic brother , who had no independent power structure and was very much under Michael's thumb. Did he deserve such a pass? If you think that he was directly and knowingly involved in trying to kill Michael and Kay, then obviously not. I think the film is deliberately ambiguous on that point thus the discussions over the years.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.