PB and Apple:

It's clear we don't see eye-to-eye on this one. I realize that I'm in the minority, although I don't entirely see why. Rather than re-hashing our stances, or getting into point-by-point rebuttals, I'd like to shift the discussion a little.

You both base your opinions on the concept that treachery cannot be forgiven. I believe there are two reasons why it's in a Mafia Don's interest to follow that principle:

1. To eliminate threats
2. To discourage future traitors

But I'm not sure either one applies in this case.

A few of us have put forth what I consider to be a strong case that Fredo was not perceived to be a continuing threat by Michael or, if he was, one that could have been neutralized by exile, rather than death.

As for future traitors, Michael states that the loyalty of his men is based on business. I don't see how killing killing Fredo would make it a better business move for, say, Neri, to move against Michael. Michael did not need fear to keep his people in line. And, if he did, there was little doubt about his ruthlessness and determinated, regardless of how he dealt with Fredo.

So, in this one instance, I'm not sure the "treachery can't be forgiven" argument holds that much weight.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"