Kate Lawson: Simply the Best
Melon salad keeps heat out of the kitchen

One of the things I love about summer is that I can play outside until the street lights come on. And when I go inside I don't have to work hard to make dinner.

My joy is to come from work, change into my ratty shorts, T-shirt and clogs and walk the perimeter of my yard (I jokingly call it touring the estate).

I check the gardens for the dreaded Japanese beetles, which I pluck off my plants and plunge into a bucket of soapy water that I carry with me. I water the herbs and the fussy annuals, survey for critter damage (nibbled hostas and gobbled coneflowers from the deer, woodchuck and rabbits), fill the bird feeders and set out a plate of kibble for Foster, the orange and white tabby that has adopted me and now hangs around the yard.

It helps me unwind, especially after the grueling drive on the Lodge.

My husband is most understanding of my ritual and frankly, since we eat dinner later in the evening, it keeps the pressure off me to not have to come home and crank up the oven.

That's a relief, especially during these latest heat waves when all I want for dinner is an ice cube soaked in my favorite spirit.

One meal that I love to "toss together," especially on a super warm evening, is fresh melon and prosciutto.

I've always loved a slice of sweet cantaloupe wrapped with a salty piece of ham. It's a great summer nosh to serve with cocktails, but with a few extra steps and an addition of balsamic vinaigrette, you can turn it into a refreshing summer salad.

This time of year, when the super sweet melons are piled high at the farmers markets, it's not hard to find the perfect one. When selecting a melon, look for one with the appropriate color that is heavy for its size and that has a clean slip at the stem end. Melons with a jagged piece of stem still attached or a flat cut at the stem should be avoided as they were prematurely harvested.

I pair this salad with a toasted baguette and some cheese along with a chilled white wine and it's perfect for eating while watching the fireflies come out.

Article with pictures

Melon and Prosciutto Salad
Recipe adapted from the Culinary Institute of America
1/2 pound cantaloupe, scooped into balls or cut into slices
1/2 pound honeydew, scooped into balls or cut into slices
3-4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
Cracked black peppercorns, as needed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cups mesclun mix
Arrange the melon balls or slices and prosciutto on chilled plates.
Drizzle the melon and prosciutto with the vinegar and garnish with the cracked pepper.
Whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil. Toss together with the mesclun greens.
Divide the salad among the plates and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Per serving: 231 calories; 17 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 66 percent calories from fat); 14 g carbohydrates; 5 mg cholesterol; 514 mg sodium; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.