How many times I been telling you to stop texting on phones? Never write down anything you don't want anyone else to see, my friend...

Detroit -- Interim Police Chief Ralph Godbee is apologizing for sending text messages of a "personal nature" to a colleague he says then tried to "misuse these text messages to strike a deal with the City of Detroit."

According to WXYZ-TV (Channel 7), attorneys for former Police Chief Warren Evans tried to get his job back recently by sharing the texts sent to his girlfriend, Lt. Monique Patterson, by Godbee.

In late July, Evans' attorneys met with Deputy Mayor Saul Green, who oversees public safety for Mayor Dave Bing, and shared the messages sent by Godbee to Patterson using personal cellular telephones, according to WXYZ-TV. The content of those messages haven't been released publically. Patterson's texts to Godbee's phone were not included.

Evans' attorneys suggested their client should get his job back based on the texts because they put the city in a "problematic position," Green told WXYZ. Patterson's attorney also asked the city to make an offer to the couple. An offer wasn't made by the city.

Attempts to contact Evans by The News were unsuccessful. Mark Zausmer, Evans' Farmington Hills attorney, was not available for comment this morning.

Bing cited several factors in seeking Evans' resignation in July, including Evans and Patterson having a romantic relationship, and Evans' desire to air a reality television show based on his role as chief.

Godbee, who remains on the job and is the city's fourth chief in two years, issued a statement Tuesday in which he apologized to his family for the issue.

"This is a personal challenge that I must work through with my family and myself," Godbee said in a release given to The News. "I ask the media and public to respect my family and the effort to resolve this privately. I also ask that this situation not be allowed to distract form the hard work of the department as we continually strive to improve public safety."

Godbee, a candidate to be the permanent successor to Evans, is still in the running to become chief, Bing said in a statement.

"Ralph Godbee was selected as interim chief based on his experience, dedication and commitment," Bing said. "He will be considered for the permanent role based upon the same criteria as other candidates."

But Bing also warned in the statement that those trying to get ahead at the expense of the city will fail.

"Appointees, all of whom serve at the pleasure of the mayor, are retained or released based on their uncompromised ability to lead," Bing said. "Failed attempts of personal gain at the expense of the police department and city at large are unfortunate and should not be tolerated at a time when our efforts ought to remain focused on our priorities of education, financial stability, job creation and public safety."

Text Messages

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.