Hi fellow GF lovers,

I did a search on this and couldn't find past postings but please correct me if I've missed the answer to this (also I apologize if I've missed something).

Regarding the patio scene between Don Vito and Michael in "The Godfather," where famed screenwriter Robert Towne was brought in by Coppola to pinch-hit ("wasn't enough time, Michael. Wasn't enough time..."
"We'll get there, Pop -- we'll get there...").

I've heard a few things that I cannot find sources for and am wondering if anyone here can source or confirm/deny.

I've heard Coppola offered Towne a writing credit just for this scene but Towne declined - ultimately, obviously Towne did not get credit but I'm just curious as to whether or not this story about how that came about is accurate. No reason other than curiosity because it's one of my favorite scenes and I'd like to know as much as the backstory on it as possible.

Also, I've heard that Coppola and Puzo accepted their Best Screenplay Oscars in front of a blow-up of this page(s) of the screenplay -- I can't find any clips or still shots of that so I can't confirm.

I just find these little back stories really interesting and would love to know more.

Thank you so much in advance if you have any insight on these or even other tidbits relating to this scene.

Ciao