I used to collect / buy / sell / trade Boy Scout memorabilia. I went a bit overboard in the collecting parts at times (due to the addictive personality).

In 1995, I moved to Wisconsin and planned to live there only 3 years. We figurd renting a house would be the financial best thing for our situation. However, I found a house that I fell in love with and let my emotional love for this beautiful old house trump my sanity. I had no $$ money for a down paymnet and figured I was getting too crazy with the BSA memorabilia stuff. I took a quick trip to KC to a dealer and came back with $25,000 for part of my collection. And, I sold the stuff to him at probably 30-40 cents on the dollar. This guys personal collection was valued in excess of $1 million and he was extreamly wealthy. I would rather sell at a discount in one fell swoop than piecemeal for better prices but take a year worth fo time and energy to do so.

I still have some good stuff and have sold individual pieces for over $1,000. On the other hand - I have paid probably more than I should on several things that I really really really wanted LOL.

Still got a bunch of stuff and dont have the sentimental connection or desire for most of it. Will probably hang on for a couple years until the market go back up on those type of pieces and then sell.