Had some fam over today (folks, bro, 2 nephews), plus my bff stopped by to say hi. My bro supplied the "San Gennaro-style" "homemade" sauseege from the new (and supposedly awesome) Italian deli near him (in Matawan, NJ). They were really good off the grill.

He also showed me his "peasant" sauce recipe, borrowed from Lidia, which includes tuna (he calls it "Italian tuna" and thinks it's a different species, but I'm pretty sure Cento catches the same tuna as everyone else lol)

The tuna is nice and subtle, tho, so no fears:

2 med (29 oz) cans tomato sauce (he uses Hunts, which is fine, but I'd go with the Cento San Marzano, personally)
2 cans Cento Tonno "Italian" tuna
1 medium chopped onion
5-6 cloves chopped garlic
Season to taste, incl a bit of sugar to counteract the canned sauce

Sauté onions and garlic a few minutes (he prefers non-EVOO, but that's all I had, and it was fine), add sauce and spices, then simmer about half hour, poof, done.

Very good!!

I also grilled my famous corn (in-husk, with spray margarine and dashes of salt and sugar under the husk, refolded then rinsed in water, then wrapped in foil over the grill for 15-20 mins, turned often, and unwrapped near the end)

Wawa supplied the 10" sub rolls for the sausage sandwiches -- they have great bread. Mom premade the sautéed peppers and onions.

That, and some 100-degree Whiffle ball with the nephews, made it a perfect day.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations