"I, the Jury", "My Gun is Quick", "Vengeance is Mine" all by Mickey Spillane.

This was pulp fiction of course and reads like it. The three stories are all pretty much the same-ugly, abrasive and decidedly pugnacious private eye Mike Hammer gets involved in a situation where an old war buddy or hooker with a heart of gold dies. Despite being warned off the case, Mike Hammer always wades in with two fists, flirts or sleeps with several femme fatales who always know more than they're letting on, and with the occasional reluctant assistance of his police contact, Pat, and his secretary/girl Friday Velda, Mike finally manages to set things right/clear his name/put a .45 slug in the bad guy's (or girl's) gut.

The writing is very much of the times wrt to women, minorities, or anybody that's not "true blue American" but it's still enjoyable. It's sorta like well made fast food (if there is such a thing). Spillane was consistent, for good or bad.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.