Well I do not think I am a coffee connoisseur nor a professional cupper - however, it is a passion. I have participated in some cupping sessions at a few various coffee houses and roasteries.

Coffee beans have over 800 flavor characteristics that our senses can detect, which is about twice the amount of wine (about 400 discernable flavor characteristics).

The roasts you refer to are how the beans are "cooked". IMO, for a better cup of coffee, we need to look at the origin of the bean and also the amount of time between when the bean was roasted and prepared.

Definitely good to buy in whole bean form! Also (and you may already do this), use good water - distilled purified, etc....

I am not sure as the exact beans you buy. But, make sure they are a single origin -- many times they are blended and they tend to be inconsistent. I prefer the African and Indian beans - i.e. Sumatra, Kenya, etc... - Just my preference.

Also the coffee bean goes stale relatively quickly. The beans are ideal about 24 hours post roast -- then it goes down hill as far as freshness goes. About two weeks is the "shelf life"

Check out local roasters and buy about 2 weeks worth (in whole bean form, of course). I expect a report LOL