Just finished "Ford County", a collection of short stories by John Grisham. They were entertaining, but nothing more. I don't believe that Grisham ever lived up to the promise of his first book "A Time To Kill". I still think it's his best.

I also read "Dead Man Walking" by Sister Helen Prejean, which is what the film was based on. Much of the film stays true to her life and her relationship with death row inmates, but she is an ardent opponent to the death penalty. I don't think the strength of her opposition was portrayed properly.

Because many took her role of spiritual adviser to death row inmates as a sign that she condoned their actions, she also gave a good amount of time and raised money to help the families of murder victims.

While I have supported the death penalty as a punishment for certain crimes, this book really made me think. Because the punishment can vary from state-to-state, depending on local law, and even from trial to trial within the same state, it seems to be meted out quite unfairly. How can two criminals be found guilty of the same crime, but one sentenced to life and the other to death??

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club