Wait a minute, "necessary condition of human experience"? Alright...

Originally Posted By: Frank_Nitti
Put simply - I'd argue that God is a necessary condition of human experience, while tooth fairies and Santa Claus are not.
Erm, right. Speak for yourself.

Also, I've already said science is limited to the tools and thoughts of the time and space in which it exists. I don't think I'd be creating too much controversy here if I supposed that we know more about the world today - and that we are better equipped to know more about it - than ancient peoples did. That's an inevitable part of historical progression.

The Mayans didn't build the Empire State Building in just over a year, because they couldn't; they didn't have the means.

As Marx said: 'The mode of production of material life conditions the general process of social, political and intellectual life. It is not the consciousness of men that determines their existence, but their social existence that determines their consciousness.'

Also, I could visit one cathedral after another in England and not fail to be overwhelmed by their architectural beauty. Just as I might enjoy well-woven biblical allegories and references in Bob Dylan's work.

That is not to say that, 'God is not long dead intellectually, and we ought not to strive to make him redundant socially'.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?