Originally Posted By: VitoC
One reason why I don't believe in God is that I don't think there's any need for a God. Many people look at the universe, human beings, and other complex things and think that these couldn't have come into being without a God. But to me, this just substitutes one mystery for another. The question then becomes: where did God come from? Such a powerful creator would itself call for an explanation as to why it exists. Because of this, I end up concluding that not everything has to have a cause--that even complicated things can exist on their own without a creator.

Often, people point to positive things--people with illnesses recovering or improving, people being motivated to be medical researchers or help others in other ways--as being evidence of God's power at work. But if God (at least an all powerful God) is going to be credited with the amazingly good things that take place, wouldn't he ("it" might be a better pronoun) also have to be blamed for the bad things as well--for example, for making Hitler want to do what he did, and for all the horrible diseases that exist?

In addition, even if there is a God, I don't see a clear reason why God would be morally good. As human history makes abundantly clear, power doesn't equal goodness.

Human knowledge is limited by elements of time and space, both of which are creations of the almighty. To believe in God is to accept there exists a reality or plane of existence that transcends our own; that there is something greater than human knowledge. While Capo has been calling for a "rational" explanation to prove the existence of God, I believe that humaintellect and rationality are human traits and science is a strictly human creation, and are insufficient to fully comprehend or define the existence of God, whose identity as an all-powerful being rests within a separate plane. Thus, to try to use rationality and science alone to disprove or prove his existence is like using a fork to eat soup.

For reasons that are too vast to post here, I believe that God has revealed himself through the prophets and Christ, who, I believe, is the Word made flesh. This isn't merely based on faith, but the resurrestion of Christ seems reasonable to me, based upon many inferences from the events surrounding the crucifixion and rise of the spreading of the gospels.