Love Stephen King. 'The Shining' was first book of his that I read, too. Could not put it down. Remember screaming out loud reading a particular passage that involved a bathtub. Funniest thing is that while reading it I thought to myself that Jack Nicholson would be PERFECT as the father if and when it were made into a film...before even knowing that Nicholson had already been cast in the part!

It was such a disappointing film though, although it did depict well the complete isolation of the hotel. I remember reading somewhere that having the hedges coming to life in a realistic, frightening way was technologically unachievable at the time (without looking ridiculous), which is why they went with the maze and 'frozen' ending. Talk about anti-climactic!!! There I was waiting for a boiler to blow!!!
Weber tv version was much better.

Another King all time favorite of mine is 'The Stand', which also was made into a pretty good mini-series. I never managed to read 'It', but enjoyed that on tv as well, so I can only hope it was true to the original story.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON