Originally Posted By: Turnbull
My brother lives about a block away from DiFara's on Avenue J in Brooklyn. It's been getting a lot of coverage about being the "best pizza" in Brooklyn. Now, says my brother, he's charging $5 a slice. Typical of New Yorkers, they think anything priced that high must be worth it, so the line is three blocks long and the wait for one of those $5 slices is 90 minutes. The owner even is bragging about it:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/20...good-there.html

Yes TB, it's $5.00 a slice. My uncle came over last night and told us that he stopped there on friday and his eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw the price for a slice. Personally, I could care less how good the pizza is,( and we do know what a great pizza they make there), I would never pay that much for a slice of pizza!

Meanwhile one of our local pizzerias here took the exact opposite approach. They decided to charge a $1.00 per slice and now have become known as the "Home of the Dollar Slice!"

The owner (who's father happens to be a friend of mine) told me that the other day he sold 750 INDIVIDUAL SLICES of pizza! He told to me that while he's not making a killing on a slice, he's not losing money either. It keeps people coming in and for the most part the "add ons" that they order make up for his making less money on the slice itself. He feels that in these tough time his lowering the price of his pizza allows those living in the community to be able to once again afford a night out with their families.

750 Slices in ONE day! And that does NOT include the pies that he sold as a whole.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.