Stars Say 'Sopranos'
Movie May Be Close

Updated: Wednesday, 05 Aug 2009, 3:32 PM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 05 Aug 2009, 12:53 PM EDT

By MIKE BRODY

(MYFOX NATIONAL) - Almost immediately after "The Sopranos" aired its final episode in 2007, speculation began that a movie version of the hit HBO series was in the works.

Producer David Chase hasn't confirmed the project and HBO has continually denied the existence of a script. One popular rumor to date has been that James Gandolfini, who plays mafia boss Tony Soprano in the series, has been reluctant to sign on for the big-screen version.

But now two of the stars of the series are saying a "Sopranos" movie hitting the big screen is close to being a reality, according to the New York Daily News .

"I don't think it's that at all," says Lorraine Bracco about Gandolfini's supposed cold feet. "I think it's really trying to get the right script. Without the right script, it's really not worth doing."

Bracco added that many of the cast members have encouraged Chase to "get the script." She also hopes to make more than one movie. "I want us to be like 'Sex and the City' or 'The Bourne Identity,'" she said.

Meanwhile, Steven Van Zandt , whose character Silvio Dante was struggling for his life in the show's abrupt ending, recently told a Belfast newspaper that his character "is still alive."