ESPN is reporting that the Cavs have acquired Shaq for Ben Wallace & Sasha Pavlovic. I don't know - my initial reaction is that this is not going to get Cleveland over the hump. Many in the local media have been saying "we need a big guy to compete with Orlando." I say why make a move to matchup against one team? I think Orlando might have overachieved in reaching the Finals, much like Cleveland in 2007. Both simply got hot at the right time.

If this move was made to matchup better with Dwight Howard, then to quote Vito Corleone "it is a sign of weakness." In case anyone forgot, Kevin Garnett was hurt and will be back for Boston. So the Cavs have to reckon with Orlando, Boston, Miami, and, in my opinion, Chicago.

What I do like about the trade is what the Cavs gave up. Pavlovic is mediocre at best and does not play defense. Wallace is contemplating retirement and his salary is gone. I liked Wallace's leadership and experience, but there was not much left in the tank. Getting Shaq for 1 year is not a bad idea. I hope that he has low minutes for much of the season until the playoffs. I think Shaq now might have a little added motivation to get one more ring to move himself ahead of Kobe, so maybe that could help somewho. We will know if it was the right move by June 2010.