Originally Posted By: olivant
As a Pirates fan, I don't know how I let May 26 go by without mentioning the 50th anniversary of the most perfect game pitched in Major League history. 1959, Harvey Haddix picthed 12 perfect innings for the Pirates against the Milwaukee Braves. Included in the Braves lineup were illustrious players such as Lew Burdette and Hank Aaron. What a performance. It is at least ironic if not downright hieneous that Harvey lost the game in the 13th inning. But noone before or after (or probably ever will) matched his performance.

I remember that day and hearing about it!

Haddix faced Lew Burdette, a top pitcher in his own right. Included the batters that were up against Harvey were not only Aaron but monster hitters Eddie Matthews and Joe Adcock. (Matthews hit over 500 hr's and Adcock averaged about 30 per year including some of the longest ones ever hit).

Pittsburgh was a marginal team then; they managed 12 hits in the game but couldn't bring a run in. The Braves actually scored three runs in the bottom of the 13th when Adcock homered with two men on base (including Aaron who was intentionally walked). Aaron pulled a bonehead play by allowing Adcock to pass him on the basepaths and the homerun was disallowed and counted only as a double and officially only one run scored.

No matter - the big story was Haddix's great performance.... he retired 36 consecutive batters!