Anyway, today TCM is showing Marlon Brando in "The Wild One" (1953), and I think this would be a good time to re-post our friend Turnbull's review of this iconic classic. And there really isn't any moment in Hollywood history more iconic than Brando sitting on his motorcycle wearing that leather jacket, and anyone and everyone on this board knows how much Turnbull loves this movie.

This is the sort of recollection I was hoping to evoke from some of you with this thread. smile

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
The other night I watched (again) "The Wild One," without a doubt the most iconic American movie of the Fifties. Despite being a "B" movie (and not a particularly brilliant one at that), "The Wild One" contains one of Brando's most forceful and definitive performances. Every serious compendium of film criticism (print or video) rates this movie at or near the top of the most influential films of the Fifties. Unlike "Streetcar," "On the Waterfront," "Viva Zapata" or "The Men," where Brando was surrounded by other capable actors, here he has a near-solo showcase for his ability to totally dominate everything (although Lee Marvin turns in an early, effective performance as a convincingly wretched fellow-biker).
One of the reasons I love "The Wild One" is that, when it came to our neighborhood moviehouse in '54 (almost a year after it was released), I was the only kid who had a real, leather motorcycle jacket. Andy Warhol once said everyone would be famous for 15 minutes. My 15 minutes of fame came on that matinee when all the neighborhood kids and I watched "The Wild One." And every one of them begged me to let them wear my motorcycle jacket while watching the film. Ah, what a moment... smile Afterward, we all attached a clothespin to a playing card, mounted the clothespin to the rear wheel of our bicycles, and let the playing card flap against the spokes of the wheel--making a sound like a motorcycle. Perfect!