Originally Posted By: ginaitaliangirl
CS, I heard my Astros announcers talking about how there's supposed to be a movie made, based on the Moneyball book you recommended to me! I wonder how that'll turn out...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1210166/

Brad Pitt??

I still haven't gotten to the book, unfortunately, but I'll have free time this summer.

The book to me is a bit inward-looking so I have no idea how compelling of a movie it will make, but I'm looking forward to it.

You still haven't read it, Gina??!! Get to it! lol

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
I've never read Moneyball, but I heard local talk show hosts talking about how, for the most part, none of the players mentioned in that book have really amounted to anything. And with the A's decline, people around here are starting to question Billy Beane's "genius".

During the time of the book, the A's were winning regular season titles on a very limited budget. I guess his genius comes and goes. wink

I think Moneyball tactics only get you so far. That's why the A's have never been able to take the next step. Moneyball strategies combined with the ability to spend money (ala the Boston Red Sox) will increase the probability of success greatly.