I'll be willing to give Chrissy the benefit of the doubt; without any moral guidance, in the absence of his murdered father and his junkie mother, and given the increasing withdrawal on Tony's part, Christopher's situation is impossible. Here's a short extract from the dissertation I wrote last semester:

Tellingly, then, in between beginning and ending his onscreen life as described above, Christopher Moltisanti’s arc is an ebb and flow of recognition and rebuff. At the show’s start, Christopher seeks recognition as a loyal, trusted soldier in Tony Soprano’s crew. Over the course of six seasons, his loyalty to Tony is continually challenged and questioned, just as his temporary bouts of abstinence succumb repeatedly to his love for cocaine and heroin. Crucially, Christopher pledges his loyalty to his business family over everything else – “Everything,” Tony repeats – in “Fortunate Son” (3, III). Essentially, the only way out henceforth is through death.

Once omerta is taken, once in the clutches of the Mafia’s grip, Christopher can only disappoint, as confirmed by the eventual revelation of his drug addiction (4, X). But even after rehab, as seen in “Walk Like a Man” (6, V), his sobriety is mocked and teased. In a life built on and driven so fiercely by appearances, it is not enough that Christopher now has a wife and child; his refusal of alcohol is perceived as a weakness – there is no room for discipline in this indulgent society. “When I was using, I was a disgrace,” he tells Tony. “Now I’m sober and I’m a drip. The fuck you want from me?” But the question is tellingly met with silence.

This impossible situation is highlighted best in “Cold Cuts” (5, X), when Christopher and Tony have dinner with their cousin, Tony Blundetto. Initially nostalgic and reminiscent of their past, the conversation soon leads to comedy and laughs; but when the two Tonys begin mocking Christopher, the latter feels alienated. In showing he is displeased, his sobriety is used as a weapon against him. Low self-esteem, coupled with the growing regret of having been so loyal to Tony Soprano, sends Christopher packing: the tears he sheds on the drive home are as understandable as they are visible.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 04/17/09 03:53 PM.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?