Originally Posted By: Lilo
[quote=olivant]If Chavez or Putin were forcing out company heads and directing companies to merge , we would be reading numerous editorials in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, etc about the dangers of political control of private companies.

I don't think the President has many good choices to make here. But my major point in all of this is that he (and the Democrats) are taking on a major political risk by getting involved in decision making in the auto industry, a role they've generally avoided in the financial industry.

The double standard is obvious and it stinks. If things turn around by 2010 or 2012, assuming there IS still anyone left working in Michigan, this will mostly be forgiven by Michigan Obama voters. If things haven't rebounded by then and the President is perceived as the man who broke the UAW and wiped out GM/Chrysler while coddling "East Coast bankers" there will be some political consequences.

GM, AIG and the others ASKED for bailout money, and in GM's case there were strings attached, namely that they come up with a new business model. Well, their new business model was to ask for another bailout. Good riddance to Waggoner who gave us the Hummer.

The comparison to Putin and Chavez is apples and oranges. Chavez just nationalizes what he wants....that is not happening here. We are allowing business people who, in a real capitalist model would bear the risk of failure, and sparing them that risk because their failure could destroy the economy. When you remove the risk, you necessarily reduce the reward.

As for keeping the bankers, they have to show more accountability for what they did with the money, and I think the Wagoner firing is a warning shot to them....they are next.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."