Originally Posted By: klydon1
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Now i know we live in a democracy and everyone has the right to protest and the actions of a few do not represent the feelings of the majority but i was just interested in one question?

If this same thing happened in the US,what would happen?

Throughout most of the U.S. I would suspect you'd get the same response as you saw in Luton. Yes, freedom of speech, especially political speech, is deservedly revered and protected, but the exercise of that right carries consequences. The right to spew venom sometimes buys you the right to get punched in the jaw.

(Shrugs) Everyone has the right to their opinion no matter what others think. It easy to say that when I don't feel strongly about a given issue but I really do believe that's true.

There's a crazy hateful Christian reverend/preacher here in the US, Fred Phelps , I think his name is who has decided that gays are wrong and evil. Whatever. But he has also decided that the best way to broadcast these feelings is to show up at military funerals claiming that the men/women died as part of God's judgment against America and that he's HAPPY these people died. He has a very large family and extended family who make up his "church", most of whom seem to be as hateful and as callous as he.

I think it was ruled that his free speech rights had to be protected. Not sure.

There are some folks who are legitimately appalled at the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Others like Phelps just want to hurt people and draw attention to themselves. Ugly as it might be I think everyone's free speech rights should be protected. But if someone showed up at my loved one's funeral saying such things, I'd likely be going to jail afterwards.... mad

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.