Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I heard earlier today that Patrick Swayze admitted himself to the hospital for pneumonia. This makes me so sad. frown I don't know a lot about his personal life, nor have I seen all of his films (I loved Ghost),but he always seems so down to earth. The fact that he's stayed married to his wife for such a long time is admirable (very very rare if not impossible in his line of work).

Did anyone see his interview with Barbara Walters in which he talked about his cancer and the fact that he was given 2 years to live. frown Although he's said he's fighting all the way, it doesn't sound very good. I just feel so bad for him.

TIS
Story

Call me a pessimist, but two years sounds unrealistic for Patrick Swayze or anyone suffering from pancreatic cancer. I've known of a few people with it. One died a few weeks after being diagnosed, another lasted about 9 months, and a relative of mine lasted 14 months. It's all about when it is detected but is ultimately a death sentence and not treatable. NFL executive Gene Upshaw was diagnosed this past summer on a Sunday and died the following week. I hope Swayze can buck the odds, but it seems like an extreme longshot.

Chemo does nothing to substantially improve the patient with pancreatic cancer. All it does is delay the inevitable and, as Mig said, weakens the person to the point where he/she is more likely to have other medical problems because of the low immune system. For those of you who have seen a person who takes chemo, it can be very difficult to cope with because of the potential for so many adverse side effects.