Christine Beatty, the former chief of staff for (and mistress of) disgraced former Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick decided to take a plea deal on the perjury and obstruction of justice charges. She'll get the same time in jail (4 months) that the former mayor received. She might even get an adjacent cell...

Tearful Beatty apologizes in text message scandal
George Hunter / The Detroit News

SOUTHFIELD -- She famously rolled her eyes and struck a defiant pose throughout the whistle-blower lawsuit against her and her former boss. But Christine Beatty broke into tears and spoke of contrition today during a press conference at her attorney's office.

"I am extremely sorry for all the people who were harmed in this ordeal," said Beatty, former chief of staff for ex-mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, as she read a prepared statement. Beatty spoke at attorney Mayer Morganroth's Southfield office.

Beatty pleaded guilty earlier today to two counts of obstructing justice for lying on the witness stand during a police whistle-blower lawsuit in the text message scandal. As part of the plea deal with Wayne County Prosecutors, Beatty will serve a 120-day jail sentence; remain on probation for five years; and pay $100,000 restitution to the city.

Advertisement

She explained why she took the deal, saying, "After many long months, I decided to end this ordeal. I decided not to go through that, and not take a chance ... of being there for my daughters."

Beatty said she wanted to "especially apologize to the people of the great city of Detroit. I am truly sorry. Detroit is my home, and I hope one day the work that was accomplished will eventually show through."

To her supporters, Beatty said, "Please continue to pray for me and my family," and she gave a special thanks "to my mother, my family, my church family and my friends. You have stuck by me at every turn and I could not have made it through a single day without you. I thank God you were with me during that time.

"This has been a very trying time but also a very spiritual one."

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.