Originally Posted By: Post Tribune
VALPARAISO -- A Porter County lawyer allowed a client to paint the inside of her Valparaiso home in exchange for the attorney services, but the man ended up robbing her.

Patrick J. Hegedus, 42, has been accused of stealing $18,755 worth of jewelry, cash and a bottle of Captain Morgan rum while painting the home from July 21 to 23.

He has been charged with felony theft and faces up to three years in prison if convicted.

According to court records, Jo Anne Lohmeyer returned home July 23 and found Hegedus and his girlfriend there. Lohmeyer told him he couldn't have friends there, then after he left, she discovered jewelry was missing, including two rings, a diamond tennis bracelet and a gold necklace. She also found that $2,000 cash and two car keys were missing.

The girlfriend told police she was helping two days and had mentioned she liked Captain Morgan when she saw the bottle there.

That night, he brought her a bottle and showed the bracelet and necklace to her and told his girlfriend's father the two rings belonged to his ex-wife.

When the rings showed up in a local pawn shop, an appraiser recognized one.

Lohmeyer had been Hegedus' attorney for his July 2007 divorce and protective order against his wife.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.