There has been several posts over in the GF Trilogy thread in regards to different issues about Fredo. While I haven't read the book in several years, I occassionaly glance through it. I found an interesting paragraph concerning Fredo, which I totally do not remember from originally reading the book, so I thought I would share it with everyone. It takes place after Don Vito is shot and Michael and SOnny go to see Fredo, who has been heavily sedated.

"Michael shrugged. He had seen soldiers in the same condition on the battlefield. But he never expected it to happen to Freddie. He remembered the middle brother as being physically the toughest one in the family when all of them were kids. But he had also been the most obediant son to his father . And yet everyone knew that the Don had given up on this middle son ever being important to the family business. He wasn't quite smart enough, and failing that, not quite ruthless enough . He was too retiring a person, did not have enough force."

I find this passage very interesting because it is ironic that Fredo was tougher than Sonny as a kid. What also interests me about this passage is that in it's own way, it addresses the question that has come up from time to time about Fredo knowing or not knowing that what he did with Ola and Roth would put Michael's life in harms way. Obviously, as it says, and as many of us have agreed, Fredo was "not quite ruthless enough." He would NEVER ever do anything intentionally to hurt his brohter Mike.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.