Originally Posted By: Danito
Originally Posted By: olivant
He's not angry at Tom; he's just made up his mind on a course of action. Of course, just a few minuts later, Sonny accepts Tom's caution to consider the disastrous results if Sonny pursues that course of action. Also, don't forget that in a previous scene in Vito's office just before they are brought the fish in Luca's vest that Sonny calls Tom Consigliere when he asks him for advice if Vito dies. When he calls Tom Consigliere in the scene you are referring to, Sonny's simply emphasizing that he intends a course of action that is a departure from Tom's proposed course of action and Tom's course of action is a function of his role as Consigliere. Remember, Tom's Consigliere role is to advance the interests of the Corleone family at the least cost to the Corleones and certainly without spilling blood.

Agreed. Nevertheless, they have a brotherlike relationship. They've called each other "Sonny" and "Tom"/"Tomanouch" for years. So it's a little strange that when Sonny's losing his temper, he calls his brother consigliere. To me it sounds a little like: "Oh Tom, don't try to play the consigliere."
Later, when Sonny is shot, Vito calls Tom "consigliere of mine", as if to remind him that this is his function. This also contrasts the very private situation.
Would Tom have ever called Sonny "Godfather"?
Would Vito have ever called Genco "consigliere of mine"?

actually... I think this statement by Sonny was more like "Ok Tom... you have the position of consigliere... now you have to step up and act with the responsibility that this office holds. what should we we do?"

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)