Originally Posted By: MaryCas
I'm one of those old foggies who likes to read a newspaper with my morning coffee and breakfast. So this morning, much to my chagrin, I read that in Baghdad the gas lines are two miles long and it takes four hours to get to the pump, while pushing your car in 100 degree heat, only to get there and have the power go off so the pump can't pump. The good news - gas is the equivalent of $1.44. More good news (sorta) Iraq has 60% of the Middle East oil supply in the ground and several foreign countries have deals to buy Iraq oil. I wonder if one of those countries could be Halliburton....I mean the U.S.of A. ohwell

It is cheap there because we U.S. taxpayers subsidize their cost. Iraq has a lot of oil, but very little in the way of refining it. So WE pay Halliburton (awarded a no-competition contract of course) to buy fuel from other countries and to bring to Iraq.

But gas was a lot cheaper for them and their oil production capacity is something like half what it was before we bombed them, so I guess it is only fair?

Don't be too surprised, the US has a LOONG history subsidizing energy prices in the Middle East.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"