Originally Posted By: SC
 Originally Posted By: klydon1
They had, however, a more impressive stretch in June, 1930 where they had beaten Pittsburgh 16-4, and then put a licking on the Boston Braves 15-2 and 18-10 before sweeping the three game series by a score of 10-7. In their next game, the Cubs beat Brooklyn, 13-0.

And Brooklyn went on to beat them 12-9 and 6-0 in the following and ending game of the series. The Cubs had some awesome hitters playing for them then. Led by Hack Wilson (batted .356 with 56 hr's and 191 rbi's) and Gabby Hartnett (.339, 37 hr's and 122 rbi's) they finished in 2nd place.

I THINK I read that the Cubs just won their 10,000th game.

By any chance did you get to go to any of those games in Brooklyn, SC? \:D

That 1930 season had to be one of the greatest ever. I had forgotten that was the year Hack Wilson knocked in 191 runs. Growing up, I always knew that record to be 190 rbis, but baseball historians verified in the 1990s that Wilson was not properly credited with an rbi in a particular game, and so it was added to give him 191.

That year the Cardinals won the NL with a team BA of .314 and every starter batting over .300, and they were beaten by the Philadelphia A'sin the Series as that team had Jimmie Foxx, Mickey Cochrane, Al Simmons and Lefty Grove.

Yes, the Cubs won their 10,000th, but we Phillies fans know that we beat them to the 10,000mark last year. We only did it in "losses."