So what did you think of the book?

I finished reading it a month or so ago. The experiance was very much like a horse following a carrot. Tells you just enough to perk your interest and then side tracks you for 15 chapters with 5 million subplots/substory lines etc. etc. It was fun--a tad aggravating at times though.

Though I think the subplots made the book. The actual main story line was so-so. And when you finally figure out about the santadio "war"...yeah the details struck me as kind of stupid. It's like he was trying for a dark re-enterpertation of Romeo and Juliet and threw the mob in for fun. I hate Romeo and Juliet...and so that part of the plot came off as a tad melodramatic and stupid. But it's written by Puzo, so it's magnificent at the same time. I think The Last Don really proves the idea that it's how a book is written just as much as what it's written about. I think Puzo could write about pencils lying on a table and I'd be entranced.

But anyway for the sake of not rambling on and on--what did you think of the book?