Good Points TB, but there is really nothing to show that after he turned the illegal enterprise over to Vincent that he ever did anything that was not legitimate again (excluding in the light most favorable to him that he knew full well what Vincent would do to Michael's enemies).

Its worthy to note that twice in GFIII Michael and Vincent have this talk about Vincent's role. When the Zasa contratemps came about Michael mentioned that he had offered Vincent something in the legitimate world but Vincent refused. He even takes a shot at Vincent saying he doesnt need tough guys he needs lawyers. Then at the end he tells Vincent he can have what's left of the illegal operations and makes it clear that he, Michael, is out.

You are correct the bribing his way into getting the Vatican to go along with his takeover of immobiliare was crooked, but this was his way of getting out of the rackets. He knew of the shortfals of the Vatican bank and probably know the Archbishop was a crook. Even so he had to convince the archbishop that they had sold al their gambling interests, and of cours he had already made arrangements to buy himself out of the commission. Recall the commission all wanted to wet their beaks in Immobiliare, which Michael refused. After that Zasa and Altobello "conveniently" left the room and the hit ensued. Either Michael would die and the CHurch would be $100 million richer with the Mary Corleone foundation, and Corleone who was a stone in the Archbishop's and Immoniliare's shoes would be dead. When he didnt die, he was literally "pulled back in" because he had to find out who was trying to kill him. As for the "bribery" what he did was take advatage of this shortfall in the Vatican Bank, promise to make the Vatican Bank whole and in the process get what he thought was the Vatican's approval for control of Immobiliare. This brings up another point. Michael's promise to make the bank whole (not a bad thing to do) was predicated on the Vatican ratifying his stake in Immobiliare. The only reason he needed to do this was to keep the crooked archbishop from being exposed as a crook and to kee the Vatican Bank scandal free, and the deal was between him and the Archbishop. By the time Michael takes over Immobiliare there is a new pope, the bad guys have all been exposed and killed, and the shortfall in the Vatican bank is well known. Cardinal Lamberto was not a part of this promise to pay AFTER ratification, so it is possible that Michael never had to pony up the extra $700 million, in which case there was no bribe paid.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."