Blade Runner is too convinced that its central premise, "What does it mean to be human", is the first time it's been asked in the manner that it has. I suppose that's fair enough, and it's fascinating if you want to go along for the ride, but I find the narrative shifts between Deckard (Descartes?) and the drones problematic; it has no consistent subjective gaze, for a film so strongly about 'seeing' (recurring shots of eyes, etc.). It's too convinced that its ending is beautiful, that its elliptical development is intriguing, that its action set-pieces are weird enough so as to be unforgettable, that it has something profound to say...

...which it might (I'd like to read the book), but existentialism alone doesn't make a film unforgettable. I do like the mise-en-scene, but it hasn't dated too well in its aesthetics; baroque grandeur and risible slow-motion. Perhaps the final cut addresses these problems; I found its silences and gestures of inertia dull, and found it most interesting as a conglomeration of cultures and races to the point of humanity losing its identity - and perfection reached only in the machines it makes.

I don't hate it at all, and it's certainly not rubbish as a whole; I just find it underwhelming, a big mighty "meh". I've seen the director's cut twice now, once on the big screen. Will watch the final cut if it ever comes my way.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?