*** "THE DARK SIDE OF THE RAINBOW" - PINK FLOYD MEETS THE WIZARD OF OZ ***

Dark Side of the Rainbow (also known as Dark Side of Oz or The Wizard of Floyd and/or the Floyd Oz) is the name used to refer to the act of listening to the 1973 Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon while watching the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz for moments where the film and the album appear to correspond with each other. The title of the music video-like experience comes from a combination of the album title and the film's song "Over the Rainbow". It is also a reference to the rainbow from a prism design on the cover of the Pink Floyd album.

Although the Dark Side of the Rainbow (or Dark Side of Oz) effect has become famous, its origin is murky. In 1994, fans of Pink Floyd discussed the phenomenon on the Usenet message board alt.music.pink-floyd. In July 2000, Turner Classic Movies aired a version of Oz with the Dark Side album as an alternate soundtrack.[3] That same month, an episode from season two of the animated television show Family Guy aired that made reference to the effect; entitled "The Story on Page One", the episode included Peter Griffin saying to Luke Perry, "I'm telling you, Dark Side of the Moon totally syncs up with the Wizard of Oz!" In 2004, the late night show Saturday Night Live featured a parody of the Wizard of Oz. At the end, Darrel Hammond steps onstage and says, "Now, if you want a truly awesome experience, rewind this sketch to the beginning, light up a fatty, and put on Dark Side of the Moon. Trust me, it's mind blowing." After saying this, Money begins to play in the background.

Real or imagined, the effect is usually created by pausing a CD of the album at the very beginning, starting the DVD or tape of the film with the TV volume muted, and un-pausing the CD when the black-and-white MGM lion roars for the third time. (Note some versions have a color lion also. The black and white lion is the right one to use for the sync.) A minority of devotees argue that un-pausing the CD on the first roar produces a superior alignment. The effect can be repeated during the film by restarting the CD when the 'Cowardly Lion', during his initial scene, roars for the third time.

Most users have explored this phenomenon using the original or 1994 re-issue editions of the album in CD format.

Another factor that could affect the quality of the perceived synch is the version of the film used. The NTSC version, used in the United States, runs 101 minutes while the PAL version, used in Europe, runs 98 minutes (due to the system's transfer rate of 30(NTSC) rather than 25(PAL) frames per second). Most users who have made websites touting the effect appear to be based in the USA. When using a PAL version of the DVD, digitally speeding up the album by 4.16% prior to starting fixes any problems with syncing.

There has also been variations on what to do once Dark Side Of The Moon finishes. The most common is to put the record on repeat and play it through 2 1/2 times. It should be noted that if the album is played on repeat, it seems to "re-sync" itself with the respective scenes; and at the end of the film when Dorothy finally awakens, the lyric can be heard, "Home, home again. I like to be here when I can." It is of note that the final chapter in the original L. Frank Baum novel is entitled "Home Again." Other suggestions include playing two subsequent Pink Floyd albums after Dark Side of the Moon finishes: the 1977 concept album Animals and the 1971 album Meddle. It is also possible to get a sync by pausing the movie at the very end of Dark Side and restarting it with the start of "The Division Bell".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow

The correspondences are primarily tonal and instrumental rather than lyrical. I subscribe to the "repeat theory" - The Dark Side of the Moon plays roughly 2 1/2 times when put on repeat throughout the film. In my very humble opinion: the first time the album plays, there is an overtly obvious synchronization. The next play and 1/2 of the album doesn't match up quite as well, but, this is to be expected. And as wiki noted; at the end of the film when Dorothy finally awakens, the lyric can be heard, "Home, home again. I like to be here when I can."

Fans also note the similarity between the album and Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). I've read more than once that, Kubrick vehemently pursued the band to write the film's score. Roger Waters declined, later regretting the decision.

Dorothy lands in Oz (Set to "Money")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvT-C8QArok&feature=related
For me, this is the definitive proof of correlation between the album and film. The preceding "twister" scene in which Dorothy's house is flown off to Oz, is very appropriately set to... "The Great Gig in the Sky." ;\) "Money" begins at the precise moment that Dorothy steps out of her black and white house and into the colorful Oz. And there couldn't be a better song to announce Dorothy's arrival in Oz than this one. (LMAO at 4:50! )
And the entire film seems to play out in this same manner - the change in song seems to correspond almost perfectly with the change in scene...STRANGE!!!

Opening Scene(Set to "Breathe")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmCfvcfHwKA&feature=related
You can watch the entire piece by following this clip. (And if you want to do it on your own, just remember to start the music after the MGM lion's third roar.) I don't know how familiar everyone is with the film, or album, but the first 40 seconds or so of the latter is silence, thus, when played with the film we have no sound in the initial credits. The song (necessarily, it would seem) is a nice paced and relaxing melodic tone for a film to open with. Also, when Dorothy arrives at the farm, the others are frantically pacing around trying to do farm work, telling her she should do the same. That's when in "Breathe" we hear "Dig that hole, forget the sun, And when at last the work is done Don't sit down, its time to dig another one." And then.. as Dorothy tries to balance herself on the fence.."For long you live and high you fly, But only if you ride the tide, And balanced on the biggest wave, You race toward an early grave."