In her review of GF1, Pauline Kael hinted that the novel's Nino Valenti was supposed to be Dean Martin (real name Dino Crocetti). Is this correct? Or did Puzo simply borrow elements of Martin's life for the character of Nino?

As much as I respected Kael, I disagreed with her that Puzo's novel was nothing more than a roman a clef. I think Johnny Fontaine was the only clear instance of "guess-who whoremongering." As others have written here, Puzo built his characters with pieces of Mafia and Hollywood lore.

Maybe Kael was as put off as I was by the novel's Hollywood party scenes. Too much like the old pulp novels about the depravity of Hollywood. These books tittilated readers while allowing them to feel morally superior to the rich and famous. Puzo did the same thing, especially in the scene where Valenti meets Deanna Dunn. I mean, star actresses as sexually frustrated sluts, and star actors as closted homosexuals? I think it's interesting that since Nino is not involved in Family business, he can express revulsion at the depravity without coming across as a hypocrite.